Blog

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Pondering: Goblins and Princesses




“It was foolish indeed - thus to run farther and farther from all who could help her, as if she had been seeking a fit spot for the goblin creature to eat her in at his leisure; but that is the way fear serves us: it always sides with the thing we are afraid of.”
       ― George MacDonald, The Princess and the Goblin

“I write, not for children, but for the child-like, whether they be of five, or fifty, or seventy-five.” 
       ― George MacDonald

“...it is so silly of people to fancy that old age means crookedness and witheredness and feebleness and sticks and spectacles and rheumatism and forgetfulness! It is so silly! Old age has nothing whatever to do with all that. The right old age means strength and beauty and mirth and courage and clear eyes and strong painless limbs.”
      ― George MacDonald, The Princess and the Goblin

2 comments:

  1. I like the quotes you shared. This story is new to me and since I have just reviewed a new bio of Tolkien, it makes me wonder if he read and loved this book too? Thanks, Doraine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure he did, Linda. MacDonald's writings were loved by both Tolkein and CS Lewis. I imagine the Inklings discussed his work among themselves.In fact, Lewis once said he had never written a book without quoting George MacDonald.

      Delete